Search This Blog

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Fish for Lunch

I eat five times per day.  This way my body is happy, my blood sugar stays up, I have plenty of energy and remain in a good mood, and my weight stays down.  Basically, I eat a lot of protein and keep my carbs low.  Carbs that I eat (since I don't eat wheat or gluten products (oats, rye, barley, etc.) are vegetable, fruit, and rice.  I like to eat a slice of gluten-free bread on occasion, but a lot of the breads I find out there have potato flour as a main ingredient.  Potatoes are high glycemic index (high sugar elevating).  Lowest of the starches is sweet potato, brown rice is next.  So I keep my gluten-free products, even the ones I make with rice flour, low on the glycemic index.

Okay, for lunch I like canned tuna (dolphin-free or canned salmon (wild caught) mixed with mayo, chopped pickle, chopped onion, and chopped celery.  I eat this served with rice crackers (not too many) sliced apples, a few slices of sheep cheese, and a cup of tea.  Bancha or Twig are low caffeine--which works better for me sleeping well at night.


Photo credit: Drummond Photography
Glycemic Index

Low GI55 or lessmost fruits and vegetables, legumes/pulses, whole grains, nuts, fructose and products low in carbohydrates
Medium GI56–69whole wheat products, basmati rice, sweet potato, sucrose
High GI70 and abovebaked potatoes, watermelon, white bread, most white rices, corn flakes, extruded breakfast cereals, glucose, maltose

No comments:

Post a Comment