Search This Blog

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Buckwheat Bread by Gordana

Here's a bread recipe shared by Gordana.  Thank you for sharing!  Enjoy!  Nancy


"Since I’m from a different culture with a long tradition of making “real” bread, I could call this cake rather than bread. I have one more example of wrong names concerning bread; any toast bread here in US would not qualify in Sarajevo’s bread category, more like soft foam-cardboard that only looks like bread. Our stomachs couldn’t make pace with these breads. So, we had to start making our own bread during the first years here in B’ham, ah what the trouble. At that time (18 years ago) we didn’t have so many good bakeries in town as now.

That all aside, this is a good substitute of bread for me. I have borrowed and tweaked the recipe from a local nutritionist’s blog, to be as simple as possible to make. I buy organic buckwheat (bulk @ Food Coop) and grind it myself with a coffee grinder. I have noticed that if the grinding process is long, the bread turns out a lighter in color. I do grind it for a shorter time (here you have to experiment), the result, a coarse flour as result, see the photo. Original recipe calls for “roasted” buckwheat, but I do not like the taste. Also, original recipe calls for a xanthan gum.  I have read that it is not very good for you at all, so it’s not in this one.
I have stop using rice flour, but if you do it will make the bread more “spongy” and less coarse ( more room for experimenting J) When I add rice flour, I do make my own by grinding organic medium grain brown rice that I buy bulk in our Food Coop.

In this recipe backing soda, vinegar, and agave syrup together act as a baking powder. If you add more flour to make this bread thicker, more of baking soda is needed. 


2 ½ -3 cups organic buckwheat flour
3/4 cup tapioca flour
½ cup organic rice flour-optional
about ½-1 tsp salt
1 ¾  to 2 tsp baking soda
1 TBS organic apple cider vinegar
about 3/4 TBS organic agave syrup (or honey)
¼ cup organic olive oil
1 ½ (about) warm water

Combine dry ingredients and mix.
Combine the rest of the ingredients with water. Pour water mix into dry ingredients and mix with a spoon for a very short time. The dough is better to be little bit “runny” than dry. Have a lightly oiled pan ready and pour the mix in it. Have your hands coated with oil and press the dough evenly, see the photo. The dough needs to have oil on top.  Preheat oven to 390 F, and bake the bread about 15 min, or until it is brown. It’s easy to over bake buckwheat bread. It needs to be little bit soft when it’s done, since it will get harder after cooling.







Then, enjoy eating it J…."  Gordana

No comments:

Post a Comment