Search This Blog

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas Coffee Cake

Set oven at 350.  Butter a 9 inch pan and set aside.

Mix together:
1 cup applesauce (I like making my own)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter or ghee (melted) or oil (no canola, naughty list)
1 egg (optional)

Combine:
1 cup rice flour
3/4 millet flour
1 tsp baking soda  (I use non-aluminum baking powder, unless I need the soda to react with something acidic, and in this recipe, it will react with the applesauce.  Still, I prefer baking powder.)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp powdered cloves
1 tsp ginger

Optional:
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or other nuts

Add the applesauce mixture to flour and blend quickly.  Spoon into pan, smooth, and bake for 30-40 min.

This recipe adapted from Fanny Farmer cookbook.  I'd penciled in the cookbook the changes in flour and oil, but haven't made this cake in awhile--so the liquid to dry volume may need some adjusting.  Cake batter should be thinner, but not too thin.  Fanny says you can also add 1/4 finely cut candied ginger to the batter, if you like.  I've cut the sugar by 3/8 cup--which you could mix with cinnamon, butter and walnuts and spread over the top of the baked cake, broil until bubbly and golden brown; Yummy!

 Have a nice rest of your Christmas.
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment